So I could ramble for awhile about all the flaws of our current local music scene but thats not what this blog is about. What I want to know is why is there not more Punk bands in North Carolina? NC it seems is filled to the brim with bland metalcore, beatdown, hardcore, and pop punk acts but where the fuck are the Punks at? I feel like this could be that I dont roll in many punk circles, I'm sure there are some smaller local actual punk bands around but I want to see them on some shows. I want circle pits. I want Punk to get the recognition it deserves because I feel like alot of these local bands today don't even acknowledge that hardcore(even their warped definition of hardcore) comes from Punk rock. Hardcore is sped up more aggressive form of punk rock. Though today many would classify hardcore as the dumbed down beatdown music that moves units and kids today, it would seem to me that that sort of music has very little to do with Punk. As I think about it I believe Punk is the parent of hardcore but hardcore has grown up and is now standing on its own two feet and is making a life of its own and living it for it's self. Though hardcore is borderline a separate entity from Punk now no one can deny hardcore's Punk up bringing which is why many still today refer to hardcore today as "Hardcore Punk".
The over arching point to this is not to be elitist and bash beatdown and metal bands. This is not a battle cry for death to false hardcore, I'm simply hoping people will acknowledge the roots of it all. Read a fucking book about hardcore's history. I know minor threat and gorilla biscuits is not for everyone but give credit where credit is due. Support local and touring punk bands, give the music an honest listen and if you dig it awesome and if not try to take it for what it is. Bands like Hour of the Wolf, The Unseen, The Casualties, Lifetime, and of course The Misfits(yes i actually listen to them and dont just wear the shirt for the fuck of it) are but a few Punk bands who are worth your while to check out. So weather your like me and shop at the gap or your a hot topic employee with a studded vest and foot tall mohawk please Up The Punx.
Thursday, June 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment